Attendees: Dawn, Shannon, India, Cass
- Find out how Cass prefers to use the 15 hours pledged for planting partnerships, e.g. in person training, documentation, etc.
- Determine available dates for Cass events
- Determine if a stewardship contract should be developed and if so, what the language should be
- Find out if we can use PlantAmnesty’s mailing list to promote/solicit support for the Stewardship program
- Find out how India would like to engage Ballard High School Horticulture Students in the program
- Find out if/how we could get BHS art students involved in the program
- Fund Raising ideas
- Cass prefers putting in her pledged hours in person rather than writing.
- Cass prefers to work with high school students rather than elementary age.
- Cass could possibly come into India’s Jr and Sr horticulture classes to teach a lesson on weeding on pruning. Cass has a tree biology pop quiz that she could share with the students. She has a 1 hour “Pruning Horrors” slideshow she can do as well. Also talked about a live demonstration of tree pruning on one of the trees on the BHS property.
- A stewardship contract shouldn’t be necessary, however, setting up a schedule beforehand that stewards agree to, is most important. For example, schedule monthly or bi-weekly weeding events. Need to figure out a way to make them fun so that people look forward to attending.
Thurs Oct 14th – Cass will give a presentation at St Als in the evening. This will be a public event where she will provide training on weeding and pruning. This could possibly be a fund raising event.
Sat Oct 16th – Cass will lead a field trip to the planters on 14th to provide hands on education on weeding and pruning. This will be in conjunction with Adopt A Street Cleanup
Mon Nov 15th – Cass will give a presentation at the Ballard High School.
- Find out if St Al’s has a room available for Cass’ presentation on Thursday Oct 14th.
- Confirm Nov 15th date for Cass’ presentation and coordinate with Cass
- drum up volunteer support from horticulture class to attend stewardship events
- Find out if Cass can do a live pruning demo on the elm tree on campus
- Send weeding and mulching doc to Shannon (DONE)
- Find assistants (weed kings) for Oct 16th field trip
Next Steps for Shanon and Dawn:
- plan and advertise for Oct 14th presentation. Coordinate program with Cass.
- plan and advertise for Oct 16th field trip, Adopt A Street and evening community event