Dawn Hemminger, Peter Locke, Sue Bell, Stephanie Shelton, Thomas Whittemore
Mark your calendar:
- Nov 1 adopt a street cleanup 10am to 1pm rain or shine. Sign in a blowing sands glass. Need volunteers to help set up and break down the event.
- Nov 4 6:30-9:00pm Groundswell NW Ballard Open Space Plan meeting to present final document from the survey activities. Location not decided yet, but will probably be Ballard boys and girls club.
- Nov 19 7:30-9:00pm EBCA monthly meeting at Steph and Zacks home
On the radar:
14th Ave NW Park- need to find our from Parks if 60% SIP is complete yet. Legislation to transfer parks levy funds from acquisition to development has still not left the mayors office although jean Godden’s office advised that it had. There are parks committee city council meetings scheduled until Dec 2. What are our chances of getting this legislation on the agenda?
- What can we do to get people to sign up and participate? Thomas suggested applying for a Matching fund for a mobile play wagon that can be checked out for different streets in the neighborhood. Where do we educate people? EBCA could talk at PTSA meetings to promote playstreets and help with the process so don’t have to do it alone. Could we promote play streets for adults as well?
- Parklet at Delancey’s pizza. What’s the status? They’re listed on the City’s site of planned parklets, but no designs are provided: http://www.seattle.gov/transportation/parklets_designs.htm.
- There had been talk about a parklet at Ballard coffeeworks, but we think plans change. It does look like they got an approval for sidewalk cafe at the west corners back in June: http://web1.seattle.gov/dpd/luib/Notice.aspx?BID=927&NID=17537
- Selig properties is planning to build a 200,000 sq foot office building at the current site of hyena shell station at 15th and Market. When the time comes, how to we want to be involved with this project? http://www.djc.com/news/re/12070492.html?utm_content=buffer665f6&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
- Ballard blocks II project will be going up on front of city council soon to change zoning from IG2 to IC2: http://www.seattle.gov/dpd/cs/groups/pan/@pan/documents/web_informational/dpds021569.pdf. It is believed that a big box store could go into an IC2 zone, but not into an IG2 zone. It’s unclear whi owns the property now. Thomas advised there should be a bulletin out soon, not sure where to find it.
- Neighborhood Conservation District Study (City of Seattle). City council is starting to look at setting up these districts to help preserve neighborhood character: http://westseattleblog.com/2014/09/could-neighborhood-conservation-districts-protect-neighborhood-character-amid-rapid-growth-council-discussion-monday/Take a look at the study by Lund consulting. We need to learn more and see how\if the EBCA wants to be involved. Lund consulting is already doing something like this in the pike/pine neighborhood: http://www.lundconsulting.com/default.aspx?ID=45
- check Ellen’s shed for adopt a street supplies and get back to Dawn by Oct 22. Make sure there about 20 yard waste bags and 20 yellow garbage bags. If not enough, Dawn will order more from the city.
- Peter to chat with Deb Gunther about the park
- Post adopt a street cleanup flyers before Nov 1 event. please deliver copies to blowing sands, Reuben’s brewery, and Greg’s P-patch.
- Send Thomas contact for greg’s ppatch
- Send Patrick Donohue contact to Thomas to see if Thomas can attend City meetings that we can’t.
- Call Patrick to get update in the park and find out why legislation has not moved off the mayor’s desk yet.
- Pick up hazardous waste container from Thomas at neighborhood center if we want to use it adopt a street cleanup.
- Send out link to the greenways survey for Sue and others to respond. In particular about the need for safer crossing at the light across 8th at NW 58th. There’s no crosswalk markings or any other precautions in place make that intersection more visible to drivers and bikers moving in 8th.
- Coordinate food donations from Ballard market. Believe the order has already been given to them. Will just need to coordinate pick up.